“I really loved the support. The feeling that I’m not in this on my own.” – Rebecca Wallis
The Starry Night Artist Resources & Tools program (or ART School for short) is an eight week professional development program for emerging artists. Expanding Starry Night’s mission to create artist-responsive opportunities and programming, ART School is designed as an online platform for growth and professional development for emerging artists in a variety of disciplines.
This 8 week online training program is designed to develop the professional practices needed for artists to start making a living doing what they love. The curriculum is based on the six main components of becoming a professional, full time artist. The course includes trainings and interviews with specialists in curating, social media, PR, tech, legal, accounting, as well as soft skills.
The program includes a dynamic curriculum of in-depth training videos, printed guides and templates; twice weekly online office hours to engage students, address questions, and discuss various perspectives on the material; as well as recommended readings on best professional practices across disciplines.
Early Enrollment is currently open through February 19th, 2016. Enroll now for $85/month.
“I’m finding the experience invaluable and would not be working so hard at it if it were not so thoughtful and on target.” – Gail Steinberg
The Story of Starry Night Programs
Access to course materials is immediate upon enrollment, and will be available to participants on an unlimited basis for all future iterations of the program. All of the materials are online, contained in the private, membership-only ART School website, where students can engage the training videos, download the resources, connect with other artists, ask questions during the twice-weekly meetings, and compare notes with one another.
With a focus on applicable, concrete skills development, Starry Night ART School is designed to deepen an understanding of the best professional practices for artists of all disciplines, with a focus on building a foundation of professional confidence in the emerging contemporary artist.
With a deep commitment to artist accessibility, ART School is open to any artist currently engaged in or returning to their art practice. This includes ambitious emerging artists who are interested in strategically growing their professional practices and career goals, recent graduates who are looking to balance their responsibilities inside and outside of the studio, and mid-career artists who are wanting to grow their audience beyond their current level.
The course also includes transcripts of all recorded materials, making it fully accessible to artists who are hearing impaired. Our adaptable, multi-format curriculum includes video, audio, and printed materials, to adapt to any learning style. It is available within the guided session format as well as in the self-directed, independent study format. Any artist interested in growing their professional practice alongside their studio practice, is encouraged to take advantage of our Early Enrollment prices.
“They had everything to make things a lot easier for deaf people to understand, not like most online courses that don’t give consideration to many groups of people.”
– Chelle Destefano
The program facilitates artists’ professional development through over 30 hours of video trainings, more than 60 templates and guides, and an ever-expanding library of interviews with guest artists, critics, curators, arts advocates, and alumni. Access to the materials is available immediately upon enrollment, and the guided session this fall will be held from September 7th through October 30th, 2015. Access to course materials will continue to be available to all participants on an unlimited basis for all future iterations of the program, and can be revisited at any time.
All ART School students in good standing have ongoing access to the course materials as well as the supportive, online community platform for the lifetime of the program.
“I was most surprised about the positive, supportive approach, the amount of material/information I could access, as well as book lists, etc., and then the ongoing support after it’s finished.” – Rebecca Wallis
Upcoming Guided Session
The Spring guided session begins Monday, April 4th and runs for eight weeks through Friday, May 27th, 2016. Access to the course is available immediately upon enrollment, allowing artists to choose their learning path. Starry Night ART School participants may engage the material independently, working at their own pace, or elect to join the guided session, in which they will:
- Engage the weekly video materials
- Utilize the printed guides, worksheets and templates
- Share their process, insights and questions for review during weekly office hours
- Critically consider their best professional practices, future steps and plan of action for their own career development
- Take full responsibility for their professional development process
- Provide feedback on the course materials upon commencement of the session
“I think I was most surprised by the involvement in the Facebook group and sense of community from an online course.” – Anthony Hamilton
With a commitment to accessibility for all artists, Artist Resources & Tools is open to all domestic and international emerging artists currently engaged in or returning to their studio practice. The program is flexible and adaptive to the needs of the artist at any stage in their career. The independent curriculum option is compatible with full-time work and study schedules, and is available to artists who are interested in growing their professional practice alongside their studio practice. Matriculated students and recent graduates are encouraged to take advantage of our Early Enrollment prices starting at $85.
Early Enrollment Deadline
“I really am getting so much out of ART School… It is helping me find a clear path through my recent block and back into the art world.” – Regina Porrip
Starry Night Programs is committed to making this program extremely valuable to every participant, and offers a full, money-back guarantee to every artist in the program. To this end, Starry Night Programs will provide a full refund to any artist who decides it is not for them. Simply send in your completed work and we’ll give provide a full refund.
Watch Brief Video Tour of the Program
“I love how fastidious you have been in putting together all of the modules. The videos are super clear and helpful.”
– Julie Maren
Goals of the Program
- Reinforce and remind yourself of the reasons you chose to become an artist and have your mission clearly defined
- Learn everything you need to know about how to create a strong portfolio, succinctly talk about your work, and have a polished artist statement, bio, and resume — for print and for the web
- Understand the important markers of professionalism that will help to expand your network of relationships, which will in turn help to cultivate the right kind of exposure for your work
- Have a step-by-step guide to building your website affordably, so that it aligns with your personal aesthetic and fulfills your specific functional needs — whether that is selling online or creating an elegant image gallery
- Know exactly how to use social media to attract and keep in-touch with interested viewers and collectors
- Learn how to show your work like a professional regardless of what stage of your career you are in
“My favorite parts were the “Do Something About It” sections of the course because it gave me something concrete do to do each week.” – Anthony Hamilton
We talk about the big picture, your mission, and your art as a profession, not a hobby…
- Get clear on your purpose and eliminate self-doubt
- Define your mission as an artist and bring your personal ‘why’ into sharp focus
- Align your finances with your personal mission to flourish inside and outside of the studio
- Set up a business with the proper licenses, copyrights, and legal protections
- Set up your site at a minimal cost using the best free and low-cost solutions available
- Organize your website content to reverse-engineer the results you want
- Create professional, searchable, content that gets you found on the web
We share the best templates and tools to show your work professionally…
- Know exactly how and where to hang and label your work
- Pack and ship your artwork so you never worry about in-transit damage
- Put together a show binder of your work for interested buyers to look through
We strategically expand your network and framework…
- Expand your in person network and online following so you can fill your openings with the right people
- Present yourself like a serious artist before you actually get in front of the gallerists, curators and interested buyers
- Stay in touch with collectors and viewers in an authentic, non-pushy way
- Grow your confidence and be ready to show outside your city or region
- Fully value yourself as an artist and as a vital part of our collective cultural voice
We systematically address your online presence, SEO and social media feeds…
- Utilize the best social media practices and schedulers so you can spend less time online and more time in the studio
- Grow your mailing list and extend opening invitations beyond just supportive friends
- Create your own luck by being totally ready when all of your hard work catches up with you
- Cultivate genuine, professional, working relationships with powerful people
We thoroughly cover the best practices for talking to gallerists, curators and collectors…
- Introduce yourself confidently and talk about your work succinctly
- Never stumble over your words and come off like a nervous emerging artist
- Understand how, when, and in what format to follow up with people to maintain important relationships
- Find out where to go to meet true patrons and supporters of the arts
- Learn how to engage with the art world as a giver and cultivate a position of power that makes you immediately valuable
We provide a global, supportive, community of artists, arts administrators and arts advocates…
- Enjoy our strong support system to provide practical and personal support
- Quit feeling like a fake or an imposter when you talk about yourself and your work
“Do as much as you can no matter how long it takes. The lessons won’t go away.” – Gail Steinberg
Included in the Program
- Over 30 training videos, which are also available as audio files for listening to while in the studio
- Sizable library of transcripts and templates for all communications, promotional materials, press releases, labels, etc. making it simple to communicate properly with every important contact and about every exhibition
- Exclusive interviews with established artists, arts administrators, curators, grant makers, and supporters who generously share their insights and perspectives
- Membership to the online ART School community where artists can connect, support, and share with other artists from all around the world
- Access to all curriculum materials for the lifetime of the program, including future additions and updates
“I feel like I am organized for submitting shows and know how often I should be submitting.” – Jon Hamilton
Reviews from Past Artists
“Thank you for allowing me to be apart of this experience. I came away with accomplishing what I thought was an impossible dream.” – Jennifer Sims
“Thank you all for the awesome work you are doing! I really am excited to be a part of your programing. I fully support your methods and the way you are re-assembling the art world model and making it a more accessible and less hierarchical space.” – Eric Pickersgill
“This was a wonderful, supportive, and low-stress program. I felt skillfully represented, supported, and free to experience the rest of the fair at a pace that I determined. I can express nothing but gratitude to Monika and everyone who helped out! This was a wonderful, enriching experience and I would be honored to be a part of any future endeavors.” – Kelsey Shwetz
“The best aspect of working with the Starry Night was that I didn’t have to ‘work’ much at all. Representing oneself, particularly as an emerging artist, is a treacherous thing. Roughing it out in solitude was no longer as mandatory.” -Thomas Howard
“I was so impressed with the staff’s knowledge, hard work and professionalism. Everyone I spoke with was so generous in their sincere hope that we would be successful. This just felt so exciting and I came up with several new ideas of imagery I want to shoot.” -Shelly Hanan
“I would like to thank you once more for all your effort, your enthusiasm and devotion.” – Anica Govidarica
“I was pleasantly surprised by the high level of professionalism in our exhibition and the fair overall.” -Veronica Ceci
“Thank you for making this catalog and giving me the opportunity to publish my work!! It has been a very great experience and I hope to work with you more in the future!” -Shannon McDonell
“I just want to thank you for including me and appreciate all you are doing for artists.” -Lisa Cardenas